Vision and Philosophy
The College offers an excellent educational program for all year levels from Foundation to 12. In a caring, family environment we have small classes, personal attention, greater access to resources and facilities and a supportive learning environment where students are encouraged to achieve success, develop a sense of pride and independence, become responsible and contributing members of a learning community, and acquire the skills needed to live in a diverse and changing society. In terms of guiding principles the expectations of students is that they will:
- be committed to high academic standards and life-long learning.
- display a consistent commitment to improvement of skills and knowledge.
- develop self discipline, demonstrating an ability to commit themselves to completing set work and homework tasks.
- value quality performance by taking pride in work completed.
- respect the workplace, the teachers and other students.
- be useful community members.
At Derrinallum P-12 College we are building a strong and proud learning community, characterised by high expectations and energised by the powerful forces of collaboration, innovation and celebration. All students and staff will have a strong concept of themselves as valued contributors to our learning community. Teachers’ knowledge about what to teach and how to teach it will be constantly evolving in line with emerging understandings about how students learn best. Students will understand and articulate the next steps in their own learning: what is my next level of challenge, how can
others assist me, and how will I know when I have succeeded and am ready to move on?
At Derrinallum P-12 College the curriculum will challenge students to think deeply and creatively, collaborate to solve problems, reflect honestly and often, and approach their individual and collective futures with confidence and optimism.
Derrinallum P-12 College values are Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Empathy and Support.
- We work together to achieve a common goal.
- We respect ourselves, our school and each another, and understand that our attitudes and behaviours have an impact on the people around us.
- We are mindful of our thoughts and actions and the impact they have on ourselves and others.
- We model and demonstrate kindness, and take every opportunity to help others that may be in need.
- We create an inclusive and caring environment for all at the College.