Students work in small focus groups to learn and consolidate mathematical skills and concepts. Nelson Maths is the program used in years F-6 to support the Victorian Maths Curriculum. The use of ICT and Mathletics supports and consolidates learning in this area. Students also participate in hands-on exploration using concrete materials.
• develop a positive self-concept as learners of mathematics.
• appreciate the usefulness of mathematics in everyday contexts.
• become self-motivated learners through inquiry and active participation in challenging and engaging experiences.
• develop perseverance in understanding mathematical challenges.
• make informed decisions.
• ask questions about mathematics and the uses of mathematics in their world.
• describe and explain mathematical ideas and procedures.
• interpret and apply mathematics in a variety of contexts.
• use an appropriate technological tool to investigate and solve problems, and retrieve and represent information.
•critically evaluate ideas and arguments that involve mathematical concepts or that are presented in a mathematical form.
• reflect on experiences and make connections with existing knowledge, skills and understanding.